Friends of the Homeless serves three meals a day, seven days a week. In addition to FOH clients, our dining room is open to anyone hungry in our community. That means we expect to feed about 200 individuals at any particular meal. We are only able to do this with support from the community and dedicated partners like the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts, Rachel’s Table and Project Bread. We welcome you and your group to donate the cost of a meal and we always need volunteers to help us serve.
We operate a licensed kitchen and because of regulations, we are restricted in what kinds of food donations we can accept and how our kitchen operates. Generally, we cannot accept anything that requires refrigeration or has been previously cooked unless it is professionally handled and transported. The best assurance is to call our kitchen ahead and ask (413-732-3069 ext. 143).
For this reason, we highly recommend that you donate financially, so that we can use our non-profit and partnership status to enhance our buying power and spread your donation the furthest.
There are however, some items that we can always put to good use in either our kitchen or supplementing our tenants’ pantries:
Welcome contributions to the FOH Kitchen
- Cake, brownie, jello and pudding mixes
- Condiments in individual serving packets (ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish, salt & pepper)
- Sugar or sugar substitutes
- Canned or bottled juices (that do not require refrigeration until opened)
- Disposable cups and plastic ware
- Plastic wrap and large size foil
- Canned vegetables and fruit (the larger the size the better)
- Fresh fruit and produce (in large quantities)
Tenants can always benefit from donations of:
- Hearty canned soups
- Pasta and Sauce
- Canned vegetables and fruit (individual size)
- Peanut Butter
- Canned meats, chicken and tuna
- Canned, bottled juice that does not require refrigeration